Main Research Interests
My main research interests focus on the ecology and behaviour of Mediterranean fishes. In particular, I am interested in investigating species habitat use and foraging behaviour, by integrating field studies with laboratory experiments. My ultimate goal is to contribute to the enhancement of conservation plans for Mediterranean fish species and biodiversity in general.
- 2006 M.Sc. in Ecology Evolution and Conservation (Imperial College of London)
- 2005 5 years degree in Animal Biology (Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon)
Martelo J., Grossman G.D., Porto M. & Magalhaes M.F. 2014. Habitat patchiness affects distribution and microhabitat use of endangered Mira chub Squalius torgalensis (Actinopterygii, Cypriniformes). Hydrobiologia 732(1):93-109.
Martelo J., Grossman G.D. & Magalhães M.F. 2014. Extrinsic and intrisic factors influence daily activity of a Mediterranean cyprinid (vol 22, pg 307, 2013) - Corrigendum. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 23(3):481-481.
Martelo J., Grossman G.D. & Magalhães M.F. 2013. Extrinsic and intrinsic factors influence daily activity of a Mediterranean cyprinid. Ecology of Freshwater Fish 22(2):307-316.
Melero Y., Palazón S., Gosàlbez J., Martelo J. & Bonesi L. 2013. Is the standard Eurasian otter Lutra lutra survey strategy suitable for surveying the American mink Neovison vison? Acta Theriologica 58(2):169-177.
Martelo J., Lorezen K., Crossa M. & Mcgrath D.G. 2008. Habitat associations of exploited ﬁsh species in the Lower Amazon river–ﬂoodplain system. Freshwater Biology 53:2455–2464.
Melero Y., Palazón S., Revilla E., Martelo J. & Gosàlbez J. 2008. Space use and habitat preferences of the invasive American mink in a Mediterranean area. European Journal of Wildlife Research 54:609-617.
- Foraging behaviour and habitat use by fish in Mediterranean streams (SFRH / BD / 35942 / 2007)
- Student award for third best poster, presented at the ECI XII - XII European Congress of Ichthyology
- Master Scholarship given by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT)
- Merit scholarship given by Imperial College of London